A dog was rescued and given oxygen therapy after being rescued from a house fire in Rossendale.
The pet was found by fire crews inside the empty property on Taylor Avenue, Edgeside, after responding to reports of smoke coming from an upstairs window.
Crews from Bacup and Rawtenstall attended the house at 10.15am today (December 16).
Four firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel to extinguish the fire. A ventilation unit was also in use to clear the smoke from the property.
The blaze caused severe fire damage to the front room and extensive smoke damage to the rest of the poroperty.
Firefighters remained in attendance for around three hours.
Crew manager Roger Dennison said it was ‘fortunate’ the property had working smoke alarms.
He has now urged residents to make sure any electric heaters are turned off before leaving their property and to be wary of the placement of Christmas decorations around fires and heaters.
In a statement, he said: “Two appliances from were called to reports of a house fire Taylor Avenue, Edgeside. On arrival Crews found a severe fire in the living room.
“Four breathing apparatus wearers using two hose Reels extinguished the fire. A ventilation unit was used to remove smoke from the property.
“The front room was severely damaged by fire with the remainder of the property having extensive smoke damage.
“The house was unoccupied apart from the family dog, which was rescued by fire fighters.
“Fortunately, they had a working smoke alarm which alerted the next door neighbour. Crews were in attendance for three hours.
“Fortunately the building was saved due to having working smoke alarms.
“Please make sure that any electric heaters are turned off before leaving the property and also be wary of the placement of Christmas decorations around fires and heaters.
“The Fire Service would urge residents to fit smoke alarms and check them regularly.
“If you are in any doubt with regards to your smoke alarm, we provide a free home Fire Safety check. Free Phone 08001691125.”